Thursday, April 1, 2010

Being Whole (Poem)


I was missing something.
I searched my pockets,
my purse, and even sought to
burrow through my desk.
A piece of me is missing.
Was it this day I lost it
Or has it been long gone?
But what is this piece,
this fragment of my whole?
I am an incomplete jigsaw
lain on the table with a hole
where the missing piece
would perfectly fit.
This defining part
all but the last
In the mystery titled, “Self.”
But what is this
fragment of self-discovery
ready to unveil the truth
of what my heart and soul
has never told my mind.
My purpose, my passion
the answer to who I am
and who I should become.
Can all this be explained
In one tiny bit?
One missing strand?
Ahh, to find a pebble
amidst a sea of stones
that shines just for me.

3 comments:

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Lovely write Heather!

Mama Bean said...

ooh, i really like the last few phrases, "...that shines just for me" yes, i am always looking for the shiny

Lorna said...

Hi Heather

I really love this. Would you mind if I read this out as part of a course that I am running about palliative care: caring for the whole person? It links in beautifully with the session which is based on pieces of a jigsaw fitting together.

I would, of course, credit you for this.

Post a Comment