Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Making the Move

I remember eight years ago when I left my husband to move upstate NY with my daughter who was just 6 months old at the time. I knew it wouldn't be easy, and I was scared. I moved to a town where I didn't know a soul, I didn't have a job and I had a small baby to take care of. And for the first few years it was tough, as it was hard to find a good paying job, and Aziza needed so much more than I was able to give her. Her father was essentially gone and not someone who could help take care of Aziza. But hey, I did the best I could; I developed an independence and a strength I never knew I had in me. I went beyond who I thought I was was and became so much more, doing things I never thought I could.

But here I am again, faced with the daunting challenge of moving to a new town, not knowing anyone, hoping for better opportunities, all the while trying to figure out where everything is. In the wake of this, I need to maintain strength and confidence for Aziza so she knows we're ok, so I know we're ok. But when I look back over these past years, raising her alone in a small town, I think I kept it together no matter what the challenges. I know I always gave her a home where she felt safe and happy. Those are definitely important things, but she deserves even more than that, and so do I.

Moving away is definitely going to have its share of sadness, as Aziza loves her friends, her school, her town. But for me, I'm always looking beyond the hills, wondering what's better out there for me, and for us. And I know there's better...

0 comments:

Post a Comment