Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Spindle City

I've gone from trying to get Aziza to stop crying whenever I mention we might be moving, to "when are we moving? I really want to go to that Harmony Hill school!" What a catchy little name... almost makes me want to relive the elementary school days. They have awesome programs for the kids and small class sizes to ensure each child gets just the right amount of attention.

A site that I use regulary is GreatSchools.org It's an excellent way to get a birdseye view into different schools when moving to a new area. It has all the pertinent statistical information about the school, and oftentimes it will have reviews from parents. I'm sure I want to move to the Albany area, but really a small suburb or town outside of it would be nice, and this site helps me to make that decision. As any parent knows, it's critical what school your child attends, and we definitely want to choose what's best for them.


After I showed Aziza pics of the Cohoes Falls, I felt like I was just reeling her in. She started asking when we could take a trip up there to look around, see the school, see the falls. Cohoes is a quaint town, from what research I've done into it so far, and I think we might like it. Nothing definite yet has been decided, but at least I have a town in mind. Cohoes, NY is often referred to as the "Spindle City" because of how textile production played a major role in the town's growth. Textile manufacturing has definitely slowed down and predominently moved out of the area, but it has been replaced with other types of small business that keep it thriving. I like their public pool and the free swim lessons provided by the Red Cross. Small towns are nice that way. It's certainly a nice town worth checking out.

1 comments:

Mama Bean said...

Those falls look beautiful. I once spent Thanksgiving with a friend in Cornwall - New York is beautiful in the fall! Glad A is warming to the idea of moving. Thx for sharing the Greatschools link.

Post a Comment