Saturday, April 24, 2010

Emotional Writing

Writing poetry can be a beautiful experience, feeling the words so deeply as they pour out onto the page. There is a real emotional connection with the words in poetry, and in the fullness of the entire expression. Because the expression is so brief, it is more comprehensive and intense. The words don't leave you conversationally, like slowly oozing out, but instead, every word has a distinct purpose and meaning, in which you feel each one. I've experienced the feeling of completeness at times when a poem was finished, and then other times I cried because the magnitude of emotions compacted into twenty or thirty short lines can be emotionally overwhelming.

Before I began writing on this blog, my only outlet was poetry. I barely wrote any prose. I thought why do I want to write prose when I can say it so perfectly, so succinctly, and with all the imagery and intensity I need the words to have to tell my tale. Lately though, I feel as if I'm having more of a relationship with the words than mere brief intimate affairs - how I would characterize the experience of writing a poem. I'm enjoying the dance and the conversation that prose allows for in writing.

Writing prose is somewhat new to me, but reminiscent of when I used to journal write every day, almost all day. I didn't let anything go by without recording it somewhere. I'd carry a notebook with me on the train, while I sat at the library, when I sat at the park, everywhere really. Especially late at night was when the real thought began and I would just write endlessly. It was a part of me; it was me pouring out my emotions and reactions to the world around me, and the world within me. Everything just seemed so significant, I didn't want to leave one tiny bit out. I literally went through tons of notebooks in a 2-year time. Probably why I have so much trouble holding a pen and writing now. My handwriting is deplorable! Thank goodness for my laptop!

Prose writing seems to soothe the soul and it also excites the soul. Every day I wake up thinking "What should I write about today?" I can't wait to express something new. I'll be at the grocery store or driving in the car, and I'll be thinking of ideas. Sometimes I just love the act of typing and seeing the thoughts come to life, where words are not just words anymore. They are like allies and we're a team, as they help shape the story, share the feeling, and express ideas and visions. Am I a fiction writer? Probably not. Real life excites me, and the ability to take real life, share it, and have it mean something for others. That's what I love about writing. Not so much to entertain people, but to share and connect with them.

Poetry is and has been a true love of mine, as writing it has guided me out of some dark emotions, helping me free myself of them. However, I am suddenly infatuated with the friendship that prose offers me. Allowing me to talk and express feelings, situations, observations, or just be able to banter on about the absurdities of life, and we know there are many. The words in prose have the time for that, as do good friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment