Friday, April 30, 2010

What's with all the yelling? Seriously?

We went to the book fair/ice cream social tonight at my daughter's school. Aziza had her friend Lily over, so I took them both. I hadn't been to many school functions in a while, and it was nice to get out and see familiar faces. I know they say that you should maintain contacts and get out to network and socialize when you're unemployed, but the last few months I was feeling a little introverted. Not to mention, it's hard when people know you're unemployed and ask how that's going and did I find a new job yet? I tried to avoid that. Things have since changed, and I'm officially back to work as of this coming Monday!

Aziza picked out a few more Hannah Montana chapter books. She loves them now after getting a few for her birthday back in March. She loves to read and I try to encourage with books that challenge her reading abilities, and with stories that keep her interested. What 8-year-old girl doesn't like Hannah Montana anyway?

It was nice, the girls got their books and a poster for each of them, and we all had ice cream while sitting with another mom and her daughter, who is one of Aziza's best friends. While I was sitting and chatting with the mom, there was a mother at a nearby table screaming across the cafeteria at her kids to "get over here right now because we're leaving!" All the kids were playing, no one was really out of hand, and not to mention, it had somewhat emptied out and many had left to go home. Aziza's friend's mom and I looked over as soon as we heard her yell, and then tried to conceal our laughter. The mother was clearly just yelling like she always yells, I'm sure. She sounded pretty fierce for someone who has a 3rd grader and a kindergartener.

What's all the yelling for anyway? It was a beautiful, almost summer-like night, the kids were able to pick out some books they enjoy reading, and there was free ice cream for everyone. How can you have a problem there? I mean, even if you have problems - and we all do - let them go for that short period of time and just enjoy the moment. We just shook our heads in disbelief, thinking the same thing - how ridiculous! And not for nothing, but I did hear that mother yell at her kids when they were picking out books too. Seriously, what's with all the yelling?

Aside from the one screaming mother, it was a nice time for everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment