Wednesday, April 28, 2010

First Day of Training

Wow, I didn't realize just how much accounting work would be required at my new job, and no, I'm not complaining in the least, just thinking of all I'll be learning. Today I got quite an earful from the person I am replacing, Mary Jo. Nice, nice lady, but has been there 11 years and I think she just wants to quit working full-time. We covered lots of ground today in the 3 hours I was there, and it was exciting absorbing it all, feeling like a sponge. There's nothing worse than not being able to understand what someone is trying to explain to you, where you become confused and unsure. Luckily, it went much smoother than that. Whew!

I'm actually very pleased that someone is training me and walking me through everything. Many positions I've held in the past, I had to train myself, and it just made getting into the job that much more challenging. I'm sure with this job there will be a lot of "Huh?" and "Yikes! How do I do that?" but I think, ultimately, it will all fall into place. I feel confident about that.

But I can't seem to ignore the small little dig-like comments Mary Jo has made about Tom, my new boss, her soon-to-be ex-boss. It makes me wonder what's the real reason she's leaving. Wonder if she'll confide in me before her last day on Friday. Oh well, I've got bigger fish to fry - learning time and billing, remembering payables and receivables, preparing lengthy financial statements(ugh!!), all while becoming super friendly with Peachtree accounting software. Learning something new is always a challenge, but it can be a fun one. I see very good but slightly bumpy roads ahead!

0 comments:

Post a Comment