Friday, April 2, 2010

Two-Wheeler Troubles

My daughter, Aziza, is having a very difficult time getting rid of the training wheels. She tried to ride a two-wheeler again today, but only found herself sweaty, frustrated, and about to yell at the bike--yes, I said yell at the bike! She got off it and just let it just fall to the floor, like she wanted the bike to feel the pain of crashing down on the sidewalk. Obviously, she was was pretty upset with it, and that was the worst she could do to it. She's convinced that the reason she can't ride the bike is because the "stupid bike" keeps making her fall over.

With her brows furrowed and arms crossed, she stayed that way the whole ride home from her friend Emma's house. Biggest problem is balancing and unfortunately, right now, she thinks it has nothing to do with her. "The bike won't stay up!" she says with exasperation. "Yes, I know, honey, but that's because you have to keep it up," I tell her. Poor kid, I know it's not easy. From what I can remember, holding the bike steady without tipping over as you try to steer, was no easy feat for anyone the first, second, or even the third try out.

She just turned eight and it has to be bothering her that some of her friends can ride their bikes without training wheels. She knows it's time to learn, but I wish she wouldn't give up so easily. I told her, "See yourself riding the bike without the training wheels, see it in your mind, and it will happen! Have confidence and don't give up and you will get it!" Then I said, "Okay, want to try again tomorrow?" She looked at me with a "What are you nuts?" type look, and simply said, "Nope." Oh well, I'm sure we'll get it... eventually.

0 comments:

Post a Comment