Wednesday, March 31, 2010

I think it's time for a Zen day


As I sit in my bed, computer on my lap, across the room there is a book called The Little Zen Companion staring at me while it is propped up, cover out, on my bookshelf. Yes, Zen--enlightenment through meditation, self-contemplation, and intuition. Perhaps the answers come then, when we stop asking them. Imagine the quiet and the solace, when we can let go of the mind chatter that fills us by day, and too often by sleepless night. I remember taking walks in the rain because the streets were quiet, and all you heard was the sound of raindrops hitting the pavement. The birds would be chirping in the trees, happy for the shower so they could preen their pretty wings. Walking is very Zenful. It clears the mind, it releases energy that needs to be released, and then relaxation takes over.

Sometimes I used to lay on the floor of my apartment, flat on my back and listen to Enya or some other New Age music. As I laid there, I would drift out of thought and into a peaceful place. Oftentimes I would be so calm in body and mind, that I would drift off to sleep. I'd wake some time after and be amazed how deep the sleep was. It could have been 10 minutes or an hour, but it was better than any average 8-hour night of sleep.

If only I could pry myself away from my computer long enough to enjoy the pleasure of a Zen day. I think it's time! Is it time for you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment