Sunday, June 20, 2010

What's a girl to do?

Father's Day hasn't meant a whole lot to me in the recent past. My father died 21 years ago this past May, and my daughter has not seen or heard from her father in 8 years this August. So, every year Aziza and I do something nice together, even if it's just spending the whole day together being lazy, we're at least doing it together. Today we shopped, polished each other's toes and we ate some of our favorite foods. With the heat outside the way it was today, we were content to just hang out in the air conditioning after shopping.

This past week I posted on how excited I was to run into an old co-worker since we seemed to have a similar attraction to each other. Since that posting, this man, this person, whoever he is, proceeded to send me e-mails over the course of the 2-3 days after I had drinks with him that were crude, obnoxious, disrespectful, and essentially self-centered. I was totally shocked... he was nothing like the man I spent time with for two hours last week. That night he was open, a gentleman, interesting, a little funny, but mostly he appeared to be a genuinely nice guy going through a tough divorce. What the hell happened? If he wasn't interested in me, geez, say that... but I don't think that was it. He just seems to not care about how he affects people and especially has no interest in being a real person. I was beside myself, feeling like I was fooled. When it comes to men, I am a fool, especially if I think there are any good ones left. Be happy for your boyfriends and husbands because it is ugly out there, and whoever is single has a very slim chance of finding happiness again. I'm not saying it can't happen but these men are single because they are divorced or have never married, and they are not the cream of the crop - I can assure you.

So, what's a girl to do? Well, I'm here writing, I got myself a couple of good books to pull me into another place, and I'm thinking about taking up canning jams and jellies as a hobby. Had to write an instructional manual on it this past semester, so I've pretty much got the process down. Just need the berries! Summertime is a great time to have fun, take trips, spend time with friends, and cool off near the pool...so being in a relationship during this time is perfect, and I'm in one, with my daughter!

0 comments:

Post a Comment